Chivi is one of the districts in Masvingo Province. It is a semi-arid area which falls in agricultural regions 4 and 5. It is also the name of a mission station established in 1892 by Wedpohl, Neitz and Dietrich from Berlin, Germany. The district was known as Chibi in Rhodesia times before 1980.
Government and politics
The district has three members in the Zimbabwe's House of Assembly. Each of the wards in the district has on elected official who works at the rural district council.
The district was divided into three sections for the 2008 elections, namely east, west and south. The district has been a stronghold of ZANU-PF since independence in 1980.
The district is located in the drought-prone region of the country, north of Mwenezi District and west of Masvingo (District). Much of the District is occupied by subsistence farmers. Because of low average rainfall, Government of Zimbabwe has established several small scale irrigation schemes for the populace to supplement their mearge harvests.
Chivi south is made of wards 1, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 32.
Chivi East comprises wards 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25.
The constituency seat is made up of eleven wards, namely 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 22, 23, and 32