Daiton Somanje was a Zimbabwean Sungura musician, guitarist and song writer who founded the Pengaudzoke Band together with his young brother Josphat Somanje. The ‘Tsaona’ hitmaker died on Tuesday 7 April 2015 at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals after suffering from meningitis.
February 14, 1964
April 7, 2015 (aged 51)|
Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals
|Cause of death||Meningitis|
|Years active||1984 - 2014|
|Known for||Founded Pengaudzoke Band|
|Parent(s)||Ali Somanje (father), Roda Kauzira (mother) |
|Relatives||Josphat Somanje, Clever Somanje|
Daiton Somnaje was born on the 14th of February in 1964 to Ali Somanje and Roda Kauzira. He was married to Annah Kezias. Somanje was blessed with children including a son Faheem Somanje. He was brother to Josphat Somanje, a fellow musician in the Sungura circles. After a fall out with his wife and family, he would later form a relationship with Esther Musango to whom he would be with until the time of his death.
Daiton bagan his music career in the 1990s when he formed Pengaudzoke Band with the help of his younger brother and fellow musician Josphat. The two made waves with their Pengaudzoke musical band and making hit songs like Seiko Kuonda and Zvibate Pamhaka and later Tsaona before splitting, apparently out of greed and starting solo careers that unfortunately proved unsuccessful.
In 2010, there was a fall-out between Daiton and his brother Josphat which resulted in the two going solo. The fall-out was as a result of allegations which included among other things witchcraft. The two, who, during their period of acrimony made a battery of accusations against each other in 2010, attempted to rejoin each other but it could have been too little too late as the reunion did not work as they apparently had lost their fan base.
The group was a force to reckon with during Zimbabwe’s golden age of sungura, the 1990s, when they toured growth points, rural and farm business centres to play their danceable music, which, despite not creating serious competition against sungura’s big forces of the day like Leonard Dembo, Leonard Zhakata, Simon Chimbetu, still made an impact alongside Khiama Boys, Ngwenya Brothers, Zimbabwe Cha Cha Cha Kings, Aaron Chinamira Chakanyuka and Dendende Express among others.
- Debut Single Chinhu Chevaridzi in 1988 (Single)
- Vanhu Vandawile 1988: (Single)
- Tezvara Revai Pfuma: (Single)
- Kwatakabva Kure Nenhamo : 1990
- Ndegandega: 1994
- Zvogondipei: 1995
- Zvibate Pamhaka
- Mandivavarira : 1998
- Sakunatsa Ndiye Sakubayiwa: 1999
- Ndokudai Mose: 2002.
Today's Top Pindula News2018-07-19T13:28:28Z
- JS, My family hates me — Somanje, TheStandard.co.zw, Published: 27 Nov 2011, Retrieved: 8 Apr 2015
- Jonathan Mbiriyamveka, ’My heart bleeds for Josphat’, Herald.co.zw, Published: 2 Jul 2012, Retrieved: 8 Apr 2015
- , Daiton Somanje dies,ZBC News Online, published:7 Apr 2015,retrieved:"
- T.Zivira, T. Zivira,NewsDay, published:7 Apr 2015,retrieved:8 Apr 2015"
- T. Chirikure, Daiton, Madder of one Pengaudzoke,Initmate Moments, published:16 Feb 2012,retrieved:8 Apr 2015"