Douglas Mombeshora is a Zimbabwean medical doctor who is a member of Zanu Pf. He is the current Minister of Lands and Rural Resettlement. He is also the Member of Parliament for Mhangura constituency. Mombeshora is a Zanu-Pf central committee member in Mashonaland West.
Image Via: Southern Eye
|Employer||Government of Zimbabwe|
|Organization||Ministry of Lands and Rural Resettlement|
|Political party||Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front|
Douglas Mombeshora is married to Millicent Mombeshora who works for the Zimbabwe Media Commission.
During the GNU period, Mombeshora was the Deputy Minister of Health and Child Welfare. Following the collapse of the GNU, Mombeshora was elected as Member of Parliament for Mhangura and appointed Minister of Lands and Rural Settlement in September 2013 by Robert Mugabe.
In 2014 he was elected in the ZANU PF central committee in Mashonaland West province together with Philip Chiyangwa.
Mombeshora Sports Tournament
Douglas Mombeshora is also involved in sport as he started theMombeshora Sports Tournament in 2007. The tournament is held annually inMhangura and involves ball games namely soccer, netball and volleyball.
Kingdom Bank Debt
The High Court of Zimbabwe ordered the sale of Mombeshora's Borrowdale house in a bid to repay a debt owed to Kingdom Bank in December 2013. Although the amount of the debt could not be established, the house was valued at over $300 000 according to estimates.
In August 2015, Mombeshora was dragged to court by Crest Poultry Group which trades as Suncrest for failure to honour a grower agreement where he was supposed to rear chickens and supply them to the company. Mombeshora was supplied with chicks’ food and chemicals for the birds and was supposed to grow the birds to an average weight of 1,8 kg at or in less than 42 days but he failed to supply the required amount of chickens to offset the supplied goods. Suncrest alleged that Mombeshora owed them $24 027 and that it was forced to take action after several concessions offered to the minister failed to secure a solution. The matter was referred to trial by High Court judge Nicholas Mathonsi after the holding of a pre-trail conference.
According to a report released in August 2015 by the Research and Advocacy Unit (RAU) titled Occasional Visitors Re-Visited: Attendance in the First Session of the 8th Parliament of Zimbabwe, Mombeshora was named as one of ministers with the worst attendance record among ministers in the current Parliament. The report stated that he had an attendance record of 27% and was tied with Home Affairs Minister, Ignatius Chombo.
It has been alleged that Douglas Mombeshora got involved in a land dispute with Manyame Rural District Councill and traditional leaders from Seke Communal lands.Sources revelead that the local authority drew some plans and submitted them to the Ministry of Local Government Public Works and National Housing who are said to have approved the plan and recommended some changes.However Mombeshora is reported to have gone to the same land and started distributing the land which left the councilors with no option but to confront the minister.
Today's Top Pindula News2019-05-26T06:11:16Z
- Minister’s wife loses house to bank, NewsDay, Published: December 13, 2015, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- Provision of quality health a priority: Mombeshora, ZBC, Published: October 19, 2010, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- BREAKING NEWS: President Mugabe appoints new Cabinet, Herald, Published: September 10, 2013, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- Obey Manayati, Muchinguri, Mutsvangwa retain Zanu PF central committee posts, NewsDay, Published: November 23, 2014, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- Prizes galore at Mombeshora sports tourney, ZBC, Published: August 29, 2015, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- Minister Mombeshora sued, ZBC, Published: August 13, 2015, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- Tendai Kamhungira, Minister Mombeshora in 'soup' over $24k debt, Daily News, Published: August 14, 2015, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- ‘Worst’ ministers revealed, NewsDay, Published: August 19, 2015, Retrieved: September 1, 2015
- Andrew Kunambura (Septmber 29, 2016). "Douglas Mombeshora in land row =". The Financial Gazette. Retrieved October 9, 2017. Check date values in: