Jnr Brown is an award winning Zimbabwean rapper who became popular in 2012 after releasing the hit song 'Madrinks' which topped the local charts for many weeks. Since then he has released a string of hits such as 'Phil Chiyangwa' which topped the ZiFM Stereo charts for more than two moths.
September 19, 1988
|Awards||MVP, Best Song, Best Group (Few Kings) and Best Album (as Few Kings) Zim Hip Hop Awards 2013|
Jnr Brown born James Mpakula is the youngest in a family of four siblings. He is single but has a daughter. Brown's father passed away in 2013 at a time when Brown made his debut at the Harare International Festival of the Arts (HIFA). Brown went on to dedicate his performance to his father.
Brown grew up rapping along to Notorious B.I.G songs and every time he did it, people would urge him on. His family, especially his elder brothers would ask him to do it over and over again. It was here that he then realized he could actually rap and started writing his own verses. Brown continued rapping even at high school when he was at Marlborough High School. From there he and his fellow students would challenge each other refining his art in the process. He continued writing lyrics and making music but he was not recording. It was until later when ZiFM Stereo presenter Love Jones discovered him and assisted him to record his first song in 2006. When the country went into recession, Brown turned to recording. He had been a producer for a long time. He had produced for TK Hollan and others. It was only in 2012 that he released his solo project. The song 'Madrinks' was so popular that it was voted song of the year at the 2013 Zim Hip Hop Awards (ZHHA). Brown also joined the talented rapper Tehn Diamond and producer Take Fizzo to form the group Few Kings which won two awards at the 2013 edition of the ZHHA. It was voted the best group and also won the best album. In the same year, Brown and Tehn collaborated to produce the song 'Happy' which won a National Arts Merit Awards (NAMA). 2013 was indeed Brown's year as he won awards and also rubbed shoulders with some of the best regional giants. In September 2013, Brown performed alongside South African award wining rapper, Khuli Chana at the Shoko Festival. Brown also teamed up with fellow rapper MC Chita for the collaborative album Kings Rendezvous.
- Kings Rendezvous with MC Chita
- The Feeling Ain't Fair (2013) as Few Kings
- Mariia ft GZE
- Phil Chiyangwa
- Tongogara (Real talk)
Brown has two awards to his name. In 2013, 'Madrinks' won the Best Song of the Year at the Zim Hip Hop Awards. He was also voted the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the year at the same awards. This was a recognition for his immense contribution in pushing hip hop music in Zimbabwe.
Today's Top Pindula News2018-12-12T10:22:43Z
- Entertainment Reporters, Hip-hop duo up for awards, 'Herald', Published: 11 Mar 2014
- Tarisai Machakaire, Jnr Brown collaborates with SA's Khuli Chana, 'DailyNews', Published: 9 Dec 2013, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- 3MOB, Jnr Brown’s Father Passes Away, 'Three Men on a Boat', Published:1 May 2013, Retrieved:4 Apr 2014
- GS, Rise of the Last King: Greedysouth Interviews Jnr Brown, 'Greed South', Published: Jun 2013, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- RZ, ...And the winners are, 'The Redirect Zim', Published: 12 Dec 2014, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- Lloyd Glec Chipiro, [http://www.theeye.co.zw/Jnr-brownzim-and-khuli-chana-sa-to-perform-at-shoko-festival-2130821/ Jnr Brown(ZIM) and Khuli Chana (SA) to perform at Shoko Festival, 'The Eye', Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- Yeukai Karengezeka, Mudiwa scoops a double, 'Herald', Published: 13 Dec 2013, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014