Proplastics Limited (formerly Murray & Roberts and Masimba Industries Limited), is the only Zimbabwean plastic pipes and fittings manufacturer listed on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange.
Proplastics Limited is Zimbabwe’s leading plastic pipe manufacturer, specialising in the production of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE), Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE) pipes and related fittings. The pipes are manufactured for various applications in irrigation, water and sewer reticulation, mining, telecommunications and building construction.
Proplastics Limited was established in 1965 and has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing complete range of plastic pipes and fittings in Zimbabwe with a significant market share in the SADC region.
Proplastics Limited is the only Zimbabwean PVC and HDPE plastic pipes and fittings manufacturer accredited to ISO 9001 and 14001, both SAZ and SABS product mark schemes, OHSAS 18001, IFPA and SAPPMA. These accreditations are the cornerstone of our unmatched manufacturing and service delivery excellence that ensures unsurpassed world class conformance.It is a genetic identity of our guaranteed return on investment. Proplastics Limited pipes and fittings are easy to install and are adapted to a variety of conditions encountered during use. Our products are corrosion-resistance, light in weight, have zero failure rates, are energy efficient that ensures long time performance.
PVC Pressure Pipes & Fittings
Proplastics manufactures a range of high performance Proflo unplasticised PVC pressure pipes from 20mm to 400mm diameters. Proflo PVC pipes are recognized for their advantages and are specified with confidence for use in water supply, irrigation, sewage systems and industrial applications. Proplastics also manufactures and supplies toughened Proflo modified PVC pressure pipes from 20mm to 400mm diameters. Proflo mPVC, an advancement of uPVC, is a ductile and resilient thermoplastic alloy developed using modern technology. The enhanced toughness results in improved resistance to crack propagation, thereby enabling the use of a higher stress design which results in reduced mass. Advantages include:-
- Immunity to corrosion
- Excellent chemical and micro/macro-biological resistance
- Ease of handling and installation together with toughness and flexibility
- Far less failures and thus a much lower life cycle cost compared to other materials such as steel, clay, cast iron and ductile iron
- Compatible with asbestos, cement piping and cast iron and AC fittings, therefore eliminating dual stocking
- Durability and corrosion resistance of PVC pipes translating into a longer lifespan and has been proven to last for a minimum of 50 years, saving on costs and reducing environmental impact
- Proflo PVC pipes are manufactured to SANS 966-1 & ZWS 327-1 whilst mPVC is manufactured to SANS 966-2 & ZWS 327-2, thereby guaranteeing product quality
Polyethylene Pipes and Fittings
Proplastics is Zimbabwe’s leading manufacturer of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) solid wall pipes for use in potable water, sewer, mining and gas applications. HDPE pipes are tough, have a 100 year design life and, because of good chemical and abrasion resistance properties, are rapidly growing as the preferred material for pipeline lining and relining, slurry applications and for use in Dolomite areas.
Proplastics HDPE pipe systems are designed and manufactured to meet the harsh climate related requirements in Africa, making them suitable for most applications. One of the most prominent features of HDPE pipes is the fact that a wide variety of jointing systems is available to suit the application and installation method.
Jointing methods available:-
- Polypropylene (PP) Mechanical Compression Fittings
- Butt Fusion Fittings
- Electrofusion Fittings
- Fabricated PE Fittings
The HDPE pipes manufactured by Proplastics are manufactured to, and carry the SABS mark of trusted quality for SANS ISO 4427. This ensures that customers are receiving the highest quality HDPE pipe available on the market.
Proplastics manufactures and supplies a high performance low friction HDPE sub-duct system providing excellent cable protection and management for underground networks. The tough outer HDPE coating provides lifetime mechanical protection while the internal ribbed surfaces ensure a low coefficient of friction for optimized lengths of cable installation.
Proplastics is engaged in offering its customers a wide range of LDPE pipes that are designed in compliance with international quality standards. LDPE pipes can be used in a wide range of applications including sprinkler and drip irrigation systems, drainage systems, laboratories, industrial process lines, agricultural piping, irrigation and many other public utilities. All pipes are manufactured in standard lengths of 100m whereas custom lengths can be supplied on request, depending on the size of the pipe.
Prodrain (Waste Drainage)
- Sewer and Drain
Proplastics manufactures and supplies unplasticised Polyvinyl Chloride (uPVC) sewer and underground drainage systems from 110mm to 400mm. The sewer pipe system provides contractors with ease-of-installation, flexibility and long-term reliability. Sewer pipes are provided plain ended or socket ended and are supported by a full complement of Proplastics uPVC underground fittings. The Prodrain range is manufactured according to SANS 791 and ZWS 219 specifications for uPVC sewer and drain pipes and pipe fittings. Sewer and drain pipes are supplied in two classes, namely heavy duty (Class 34) and normal duty (Class 51), with a resistance to external load of 100 kPa and 300 kPa respectively.
- Soil Waste & Vent (SWV)
SWV pipes are designed for use above ground in direct sunlight for the conveyance of waste water from sanitary fixtures and as vent pipes for the admittance or expulsion of air in drainage systems.
Proplastics soil and vent pipes are manufactured from UV stabilised uPVC which is tough and resilient. PVC, the major material component is self-extinguishing and will not support combustion. Furthermore, PVC is unaffected by coastal or industrial atmospheres, or by the use of domestic cleaning agents.
Proplastics manufactures and supplies uPVC borehole casings and screen pipes from 110mm to 250mm in two pressure classes, PN 6 and PN 10. Borehole casings and screens are manufactured with selected PVC compounds to provide absolute non-corrosive pipes with excellent mechanical properties. The casing and screens can be joined by screwing in threaded joints or use of solvent cement.
- Corrosion:- the chemical inertness of uPVC makes them insensitive to all forms of corrosion, thus being excellent products for use in Acid Mine drainage wells or high PH applications.
- Mechanical properties:- excellent resistance to high collapse pressures, together with high tensile loads with the "DIN" threading.
- Accurate slot sizes:- which are consistent and therefore easily matched to calculated flow rates which designers can use in designing systems.
- Cost effective:- lower installed cost compared to conventional (steel) casings.
- Easy handling and installation:- tough, rugged material, with easy to assemble joints.
- Light weight:- much lighter than steel casings, makes them user friendly installations and saves time.
- PVC plastic material:- resistant to corrosion as well as acids and alkalis found in some soils. No additional protection required.
- Internally and externally flush jointed:- easy installation in borehole and improved flow of pumped water.
- High modulus of elasticity:- makes for stiffer casings and screens which can be designed for boreholes up to at least 200m deep.
PVC Electrical Conduits and fittings
Proplastics manufactures and supplies electrical conduits in sizes 19mm, 20mm and 25mm. The conduits are light in weight compared to other materials like steel and are usually lower in cost than other forms of conduit. Electrical conduits are used in electrical tubing for protection and routing of electrical wiring.
Electrical conduit provides very good protection to conductors from impact, moisture and chemical vapours
Gutter (Rain Water) Systems
Proplastics supplies gutters and a complete range of fittings. The gutters are supplied in long lengths to make for easy and economical installation. All gutter fittings are injection moulded to ensure uniform shape and high quality finish. Contractors enjoy the ease with which installations may be undertaken and the increase in productivity. Other advantages include:-
- Ease of handling and transportation due to low mass and resilience
- Ease of cutting
- Simplified jointing
- Clean to work with
- No expensive tooling or equipment required
- Good aesthetic value