Vusa Mkhaya is a Zimbabwean born Imbube musician based in Austria. He is part of the award winning Imbube trio Insingizi.
October 19, 1974 -->|
|Known for||Being a musician.|
Mkhaya was born Vusumuzi Mkhaya Ndlovu in Bulawayo on the 19th of October 1974. Explaining how he got the name Vusa Mkhaya he said:
Everyone calls me Vusa so I just took that and added my middle name Mkhaya to create my stage name.
He studied music theory and Accordion at the Johan Fuchs Music Conservatorium in Graz Austria for 3 years.
Mkhaya released his second solo album Vocalism in 2012 after releasing the album The Spirit of Ubuntu. He released a third solo album Manyanyatha in 2016. Explaining how he came up with the title for his third album, Mkhaya said:
Manyanyatha is my nickname that my uncle gave me as a kid. I am told every time music was played on radio or TV I stood up and sang along and danced. This is how the name Manyanyatha was born. So I am paying tribute to those that encouraged me to sing when I was growing up
As a member of Insingizi he released six albums. The trio comprises of Mkhaya, Blessings Nkomo and Dumisani Ramadu Moyo. Mkhaya is credited for mentoring the likes of Nobuntu and mbira queen, Hope Masike among others.
As Insingizi he was awarded with the Prix France Musique de Monde 2010 (Radio France World Music award) at the Babel Med World Music Forum in Marseille, France. His album Vocalism was nominated for an Austrian World Music Award. Their first CD as Insingizi sold gold in the United States.
- The Spirit of Ubuntu
- Vocalism (2012)
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
Today's Top Pindula News2018-12-14T01:32:08Z
- Moyo Roy I was born a musician: interview with Vusa Mkhaya, Bulawayo24, published: April 24, 2011, retrieved: April 21, 2017
- Nkululeko Nkala, Vusa Mkhaya doing big things in Europe...What about home?, BMetro, published: October 12, retrieved: April 21, 2017
- Vusa Mkhaya releases album title video, Sunday News, published: November 27, 2016, retrieved: April 21, 2017
- Sindiso Dube,Vusa Mkhaya relishes Austria stay, NewsDay, published: January 23, 2017, retrieved: April 21, 2017
- Mkhaya draws full house, Chronicle, published: January 23, 2017, retrieved: April 21, 2017