Yvonne Musarurwa is a Zimbabwean politician and activist. She is a member of the MDC-T faction led by Thokozani Khupe. She is mostly known for being convicted, along with 3 other members of the MDC-T, of the politically motivated murder of a police officer.
|Known for||Being convicted for politically charged murder of a police officer|
|Political party||MDC-T, (Thozozani Khupe faction)|
On 21 April 2018, Musarurwa was elected Organising Secretary of the MDC-T faction led by Thokozani Khupe at an extraordinary Congress in Gweru..
Arrest and Imprisonment
In June 2011, Musarurwa together with several other MDC-T members was arrested for the murder of police Inspector Petros Mutedzi during an MDC-T rally at Glen View 3 Shopping Center on 28 May 2011. Mutedzi had been trying to disperse the apparently unsanctioned political gathering. He was attacked by the MDC-T youths, who allegedly stoned him to death.. A total of 29 members were eventually arrested in the weeks that followed.
In September 2013, a high court judgement freed 21 of the remanded MDC-T members. Musarurwa however was placed on further remand as it was determined she had a case to answer. See: High Court Judgement - 19 September 2013.
Musarurwa was eventually released on bail by the High Court in January 2014 after spending 33 months in remand prison.
Musarurwa insisted that she was innocent:
“I was nowhere close to Glen View on the day in question,” says Musarurwa. “I was at a Youth for peace meeting.”
On 12 December 2016, Musarurwa along with Tungamirai Madzokere and Last Maengahama, was convicted of the murder charge. They were sentenced to 20 years in prison each. She was however freed in March 2018 under a Presidential Amnesty granted to 3,000 prisoners.
Musaruwa is a Seventh Day Adventist. She is a single mother of 1 daughter. She said that her spending time in prison was a blessing in disguise at it had strengthened her faith in God. 
Today's Top Pindula News2019-04-24T06:48:37Z
- Thokozani Khupe Unveils Party Leadership, Pindula News, Published: 21 April 2018, Retrieved: 22 April 2018
- Six more cop murder suspects arrested, The Chronicle, Published: 5 June 2011 , Retrieved: 21 April 2018
- MDC-T activist recounts remand prison experience, The Standard, Published: 3 February 2014, Retrieved: 21 April 2018
- Musarurwa: A hard-core activist or an impressionable girl?, The Financial Gazette, Published: 13 March 2014, Retrieved: 21 April 2018
- MDC-T cop killers jailed 20yrs each, The Herald, Published: 13 Dec 2016 , Retrieved: 21 April 2018
- Jubilation as MDC-T activist Musarurwa leaves prison, NewsDay, Published: 23 March 2018, Retrieved: 21 April 2018