Douglas Mboweni is the current Chief Executive Officer of Econet Wireless Zimbabwe. He was the successor of Strive Masiyiwa Econet at in March 2002 and has been at the helm of the company since then. Since taking over, Mboweni has overseen the growth of what is now the largest telecoms companies in the country, and the one of the largest companies by revenue and profit in Zimbabwe. This is a unique case in Africa where, usually, the leading telecoms company is a foreign owen firm.
|Born||December 12, 1964|
|Employer||Econet Wireless Zimbabwe|
|Known for||Leading one of the most successful companies in Zimbabwe|
Douglas Mboweni was born on 12 December 1964
Among other qualifications, Mboweni holds a Masters in Business Leadership (UNISA) and a BSc Maths and Computer Science degree from the University of Zimbabwe (UZ).
Mboweni was at Chemplex Corporation for 6 years as a Senior Systems Analyst before joining Econet. He joined Econet Wireless Zimbabwe in 1996 as a Billing Manager in April just as the company was starting. He was in the IT department. He was also part of the team that launched the Mascom Wireless network in Botswana and Econet Wireless Nigeria (EWN) in Nigeria. He assumed various positions in Econet Wireless International before his appointment as Chief Executive Officer of Econet Wireless Zimbabwe in March 2002.
Mboweni was once a Non-Executive Director by Kingdom Meikles Africa Ltd, and he also served on the board at First Mutual Life Ltd.
- Zimbabwe’s top manager for 2004 by the Zimbabwe Institute of Management (Zim)
- 2005 Manager of the Year Award, Zimbabwe
- In November 2009, Mboweni, executive director customer services and billing, John Pattison, and Econet lawyer Anthony Eastwood, were arrested by the Zimbabwe Republic Police on allegations of foreign currency externalisation.
Today's Top Pindula News2019-07-20T11:24:37Z
- Mr Douglas Mboweni, Retrieved: July 10, 2014
- Management, Econet Wireless, Retrieved: July 10, 2014