Elisha Mushayakarara, was a distinguished Zimbabwean born banker, economist and business executive. He spent the better part of his life working in the banking industry as well as government and at one point in time he was permanent secretary in the Ministry of Finance.
Elisha Mushayakarara (Image Credit: CIMAS)
Elisha Nyikadzino Mushayakarara|
April 8, 1943
February 15, 2015 (aged 71)|
Avenues Clinic, Harare
|Cause of death||Cancer of the colon|
|Resting place||Greendale, Harare|
Goromonzi High School, Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics, London|
Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics from the University of Rhodesia and Nyasaland
|Years active||1966 - 2015|
|Board member of||
|Children||Valentine, Valery, Vincent|
Background and Family
Elisha Nyikadzino Mushayakarara was born on 8 April 1943 in Zvimba. Mushayakarara was married to Thandiwe Mushayakarara and the two had children together; namely Valentine, Vallery and Vincent. He was blessed with three grandchildren namely Kennie, Leonie and Dile.
He attained of Bachelor of Science degree in Economics in London in 1982. In addition, he also attained a Bachelor of Science in Economics from the University of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, now called the University of Zimbabwe.
Mushayakarara was Zimbabwe's first secretary for finance at Independence in 1980 and was part of the 1966 Commonwealth Delegation which mapped the way for Zimbabwean to assume leadership roles in the white dominated Rhodesia economy. Before working for independent Zimbabwe, Mushayakarara worked for the Zambian government for 12 years while simultaneously furthering his studies.
Between 1982 and 1982, he was secretary for national supplies in the Ministry of Finance. He was elevated to the position of senior secretary for finance in the same ministry a position he held from 1984 to 1993. He then moved into the mainstream banking industry where he worked as group executive for ZB Bank from 1993 to 2013.
He also served as Bankers Association of Zimbabwe for two terms and was part of the pioneering team that played an important role in the construction of the Harare- Chitungwiza dual carriageway. He retired from ZB Bank and 2013 but had continued to sit on different boards of companies listed on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange.
- Zimbabwe Representative to the Commonwealth Conference: 1966.
- Secretary for Finance: 1980-1982
- Secretary for National Supplies (Ministry of Finance): 1982-1984
- Senior Secretary for Finance: 1984-1993
- Chief Executive Officer: ZB Bank:1993- 2013
- President Zimbabwe Bankers Association
- Non-Executive Chairman of RioZim Board:2012-2015
- Chairman of Insurance Pensions Commision.
- Chairman of Mashonaland Holdings Limited from February:2006-2015
- Chairman of Tobacco Research Board:2008-2012
- Chairman of RioZim Limited:2012-2014
- Board Member of the then National Oil Company of Zimbabwe
Mushayakarara succumbed to colon cancer and passed away on Sunday 15 February 2015 at the Avenues Clinic. Burial was set to take place at Greendale Cemetery in Harare.
Today's Top Pindula News2018-12-08T23:03:44Z
- , Elisha Mushayakarara,CIMAS, published:2014,retrieved:18 Feb 2015"
- S. Nyabunze, Mushayakarara Dies,The Herald, published:18 Feb 2015,retrieved:18 Feb 2015"
- , Elisha N. Mushayakarara,RioZim, retrieved:18 Feb 2015"