Somandla "Mafia" Ndebele is one of the most recorded Zimbabwean artist with over 25 albums recorded. His rise to prominence was in 1999 with the album 'Mwoyo Wekurera' which carried the hit track 'Masimba aMwari'. The latter featured Tongai Moyo and propelled Ndebele to national stardom.
Image Via: Somandla Ndebele Facebook Profile
December 14, 1971 -->|
|Years active||1986 - present|
Somandla Ndebele was born on 14 December 1971 in Kwekwe. He is married and has five children, four boys and a girl. When he was young he was involved in an accident that would see his left wrist being amputated.
Somandla Ndebele's passion for music began when he was in high school at Sidakeni High School in Zhombe. He joined the school choir and was part of a group that won first prize in a Provincial choral competition. On relocating to Harare, his passion increased and and saw him making his own musical compositions. At this time he met one of the popular Sungura artists of the day, John Chibadura in 1986. The latter inspired Ndebele to become a full time musician and gave him a guitar that he used to record his single, 'Mandiomesera' in 1989. He recorded the song while in high school and the song found its way to then Radio 2 (now Radio Zimbabwe)'s top 20. In the same year, he recorded a joint album 'Mwoyo Wekurera' with Tongai Moyo which sold enough copies to buy him a car and some musical instruments. Mafia as he is often called by his legion of fans went on to produce albums which were "best selling" at that time. The album 'Zvamauya Zvanaka' sold over 60 000 copies and 'Makobvu Nematete' 20 000. From there, the humble artist never looked back and his consistence has seen him release 22 albums to date.
among his album there is Makobvu nematete Chidamoyo Chinokanganwa idemo Zvemberi makasa
Tribute to Moyo
Ndebele paid honor to his departed friend Tongai Moyo by recording a song for the latter. He also promised to release a full album as tribute for Moyo. The two worked together for some time and their duet on the song 'Masimba aMwari', helped to propell both of them to stardom.
Today's Top Pindula News2019-02-20T15:49:11Z
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
- Musicians injured in twin car crashes, The Zimbabwean, Published: 23 Oct 2009, Retrieved: 7 Dec 2015
- Wonder Guchu, Handisati ndapera - Soma always says, intimate With Zim Musicians, Published: 2 May 2012, Retrieved: 12 Apr 2014
- Liberty Dube, I deserve recognition, says Somandla Ndebele, Manica Post, Published: 21 Feb 2014, Retrieved: 12 Apr 2014
- Silence Charumbira, Somandla releases album number 21, The Standard, Published: May 12, 2013, Retrieved: April 12, 2014
- Michael Kariati, Mafia pays tribute to Tongai Moyo, The Zimbabwean, Published: April 9, 2013, Retrieved: April 12, 2014