He was born on July 7, 1961 in Gweru. He is the fourth born in a family of eight, who grew up in the rural areas as his parents were farmers. Ncube's son Bongani is husband to South African President Jacob Zuma's daughter, Gugulethu.
He holds a Bachelor of Law (BL), Bachelor of Laws (BLL) and a Master of Philosophy degrees all from the University of Zimbabwe (UZ).
His academic prowess prompted him to join the MDC at its formation in 1999 becoming its first secretary general in the same year. He was in 2011 elected unopposed as the MDC president after the expiry of the term of Arthur Mutambara. Ncube was in 2000 voted as the Bulawayo North East member of parliament. His major success in politics however came in 2009 when he was appointed the Industry and Commerce minister during the Government of National Unity (GNU).
- Secretary General of the Movement for Democratic Change (1999 -2005)
- Law Professor at the University of Zimbabwe (1992–present)
- High Court & Supreme Courts Advocate
- Member of Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights
- Chairman of Parliamentary Legal Committee
- Advisory Board Member of Zimbabwe Human Rights Association
- Lecturer in the Faculty of Law department- University of Zimbabwe (1986 - 1992)
- Spokesperson of the National Constitutional Assembly
CBZ law suit
CBZ Bank took Welshman Ncube to court seeking an order compelling him to settle a $100 000 loan advanced to him in January 2010.
Today's Top Pindula News2018-11-15T13:59:37Z
- Welshman Ncube Whoswho Southern Africa, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- Welshman Ncube Africa Confidential, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- Ncube elected MDC president New Zimbabwe, Published: January 8, 2011, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
-  CBZ Sues Welshman Ncube Over $100K Debt, Published: May 26, 2018, Retrieved: May 26 2018, 2014