The Sports and Recreation Commission in Zimbabwe is a department which focuses on the administration of competitive sports. It works under the Ministry of Sports and Recreation and works in cahoots with various government departments, sporting bodies and teams. It was established in 1991 and it operates under the Ministry of Sports and Recreation which was formerly the Ministry of Education Sports and Culture.
The Sports and Recreation Commission was created by an Act of Parliament Chapter 25:15 of 1991 and this was after the report on the Commission of inquiry into the organization of Sport in Zimbabwe which was set up the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe Robert Mugabe and chaired by Tommy Ganda Sithole. As result of the findings of the Commission of Inquiry the then Sports Council was dissolved to pave way for the Sports and Recreation Commission. The Sports and Recreation Commission derived its mandate from the Sports and Recreation Commission Act and reports to the Government through the Ministry of Education, Sports, Arts and Culture.
Part of the mandate of the Sports and Recreation Commission is to facilitate for the accessibility of sports and recreation programmes to the people of Zimbabwe and to oversee the general running of sport and recreation programmes by the National Sports Associations. In overseeing the running of the sport and recreation programmes in the country the SRC is guided by the Sport and Recreation Commission Act Chapter 25:15 of 1991 and the Statutory instrument 342 of 1995. The Ministry of Education, Sports Arts and Culture was also responsible for appointing the Board of Commissioners comprising not less than 8 but not more than 12 members. After the establishment of the ministry of Sports as a separate entity, the Sports and Recreation Commission began to fall under the jurisdiction of this government department.
Structure of Administration
At Secretariat Level the Sports and Recreation Commission is led by the Director General who is assisted by three Directors in running the affairs of the SRC these are:
- Director Sport Development
- Director Business Development and Marketing
- Director Corporate Services.
In order to manage its affairs properly the SRC came up with a strategic plan in 2011 whose lifespan lasts until 2016. Based on its internal and external environment analysis the SRC will focus on the following strategic areas during the plan period:
- Sport and recreation growth and development.
- Strengthening SRC organizational effectiveness.
- Increasing resources for sport and recreation.
- Enhancing sport and recreation delivery capacities.
- Promoting the use of ICT in sport and recreation.
- Zimbabwe National Games
- Zimbabwe National Paralympic Games
- Youth Education Through Sport Initiative
- Community Sport Development Program
- Sports Governance
- Development and High Performance Programs
- Zimbabwe Sports Hall of Fame.
Training Program Initiatives
- Executive Development in Sports Development
- Sports Institute of Sports Science
- Management and Training
- Sports Education and Accreditation Framework
- Youth Sports exchange Program
- Diploma in Sports Studies.
Sports and Recreation Resource Centre
It was developed in cooperation with the commonwealth sport development programme of the commonwealth games association of Canada and the grand opening was done on 18 January 2001. Material found at the centre include textbooks on sports psychology, sports science, physical education, fitness, among others. The centre is located at Magamba Hockey Stadium in Harare.
Magamba Hockey Stadium
It was opened in 1995 when Zimbabwe hosted the All Africa Games. It is the biggest hockey ground in the country with up-to date world standard qualifications.
The Zimbabwe National Sports Stadium
The National Sports Stadium is the biggest sporting field in Zimbabwe. It has a capacity of about 65 000 seats. It is located about 4 km from the central business district of Harare along the Harare- Bulawayo highway.
Chitungwiza Aquatic Sports Complex
It was opened in 1995 again to cater for the All Africa Games. It is located 1 km from Chitungwiza town centre and about 30 km from Harare Central Business District. It has a number of facilities including a multi-purpose indoor sports hall, club house, Olympic size swimming pool, children's pool etcetera.
National Sports Governing Bodies
- Zimbabwe Golf
- Zimbabwe Karate Union
- Zimbabwe Ladies Golf Union.
The Sports and Recreation Commission of Zimbabwe has been a product of its own time by failing to perform competently. Like most sporting bodies such as the Zimbabwe Football Association and the Zimbabwe Premier Soccer League, the Commission has failed to rescue national teams from the challenges of financial constraints which have in some cases resulted in national teams failing to pitch up on international games.
Today's Top Pindula News2019-06-25T16:10:15Z
- , About Us, "SRC", retrieved:20 Oct 2014"
- , Zimbabwe: Sports and Recreation Commission Realigns Strategic Plan, "Allafrica.com", published:28 Aug 2014,retrieved:20 Oct 2014"
- , Facilities, "SRC",retrieved:20 Oct 2014"
- T. Moyo, SRC appeals for Region V Games assistance, "Southern Eye", retrieved:20 Oct 2014"