Lumumba William Gerald Mutumanje aka Acie Lumumba is a Zimbabwean politician and media personality. He is a former member of the Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU PF). He has been accused of misappropriation of funds and corruption on a number of occasions. In May 2016 Lumumba quit Zanu-PF citing the party's failure to deliver on its promises to the people of Zimbabwe as the reason. In late June 2016, Lumumba launched his new party Viva Zimbabwe.On the 29th of November 2017 ,Lumumba was expelled from his own Party Viva Zimbabwe. In March 2016 Lumumba was arrested for alleged theft of stealing $8 000 in a currency trading deal.
September 29, 1988
|Education||Hatfield Primary School|
- 1 Background
- 2 Media and Broadcasting Career
- 3 Political career
- 4 Successes
- 5 Arrest on
- 6 Involvement in Corruption
- 7 Expulsion From Viva Zimbabwe
- 8 Trivia
Acie Lumumba was born Lumumba William Gerald Mutumanje on 29 September 1988,he has 6 siblings.He grew up in a family that strongly supports Zanu- PF and left the country at the age of 16 to pursue his studies abroad.It was reported that Lumumba had a son at 21 years and he grew up in Epworth.
The truthfulness of his name has been doubted in Zimbabwe with some claiming he changed his name from just William Mutumanje to benefit from the association of Congolese Pan-Africanist Patrice Lumumba. However, Lumumba's own accounts of his childhood differ. An example is a media report in the Standard of 21 July 2013 where he was reported to have indicated that he was born in Hatfield. The same report indicates he is a first-generation Zimbabwean having been born to a Zimbabwean mother and father of Congolese origin..In 2016, Lumumba reported that he later discovered that the man he grew up knowing as his father was actually a stepfather and that his real father was a man from Chivi in Masvingo..
Media and Broadcasting Career
He started his broadcasting career with Star FM, a radio station in Zimbabwe where he was appointed Head of Political Affairs. He held a number of interviews with politicians and analysts about topical issues such as indigenization, elections, factionalism and succession.
Lumumba made headlines when he won the Zanu-PF primary elections in the 2013 harmonized elections. He became one of the youngest contestants in the elections at the age of 25. He was reported to have said that he believed that he was part of the new initiative by the ruling party led by president Robert Mugabe, to inject new and young blood into the revolutionary party. He however lost the seat to Tapiwa Mashakada of the Movement for Democratic Change party. In 2009, he was brought in by the ministry of Youth, Indigenisation and Empowerment as special advisor to the then minister Saviour Kasukuwere. In 2012, he was appointed chairman of the Zimbabwe Youth Council Harare province and this allowed him to work closely with members of the community. Lumumba seized the opportunity to set forth his political agenda as he began to amass support at the grassroots level resulting in his victory in the primary elections held in 2013.
Dismissal from Steering CommitteeAfter being fired as chairman of a Steering Committee on the Zimbabwe Youth Empowerment Strategy for Investment, Lumumba released a video on Facebook accusing the Youth, Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Minister Patrick Zhuwao of being corrupt.
"We have public officials in this country, Minister of Youth Development, Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Patrick Zhuwao, who is abusing public office for personal gain, and I got fired for that,"
On 20 May 2016 it was revealed the Acie Lumumba had quit Zanu-PF. Lumumba said his reason was that party had failed the ordinary people. [Read More]
In a survey conducted by the Zimbabwe Institute of Research in 2014, Lumumba was identified as one of the most influential young people in the country. He was also reported to have succeeded in airing a radio programme called "The Lumumba Interview" on Star F.M which featured some of the country's popular politicians.
- In 2014, Lumumba was arrested by the police on assault charges. He was alleged to have assaulted a reveller in city pub after a dispute.
Publicily Insulting Robert Mugabe with F-word
In late June 2016 at the launch of his political party, Viva Zimbabwe, Lumumba insulted Mugabe using the f-word. He also said that he was not afraid if anything happened to him because he was the son of a war veteran. Lumumba threatened that if any retaliated against him, their children would be touched.Following the below mentioned public insult,Lumumba was arrested for undermining the president.
The red line we are now setting, for the political dispensation that is about to happen. Is, hanti hamusati mambonyatsotukwa. Majaira kutukwa nevanhu chihwande hwande handiti. Majaira kutukwa nemaProtestor. Muchitukwa muri muma private hallways.
You have never really seen Zimbabweans angry. Havasati vambovaona. So here's the red line. Mr. President, Robert Gabriel Mugabe, Fuck You. I have drawn the line. Our kids are in trouble. It's a red line. I know. I know.. And my name is Lumumba Lumumba Lumumba I say it 3 times so you don't forget it.
Come get me. But here's the thing about getting me. I'm someone's child, a war veteran's child. You touch me. You can touch me. But I hope you live long. Because God forbid something happens to you and you leave your kids, they will be touched too. I'm not making threats. This is not a threat.If anything happens to any of you guys. They can keep doing this. One thing they must never forget, is when they go, they leave their own kids. Tichisara yaa take take, ne generation iyoyo. I like those kids. I can't blame them for anything. They were born there. You can't say, 'wakapfekerei bhutsu yakanaka?', imhosva yake here kuti ana baba president? Apfeka bhutsu yakanaka. But kuti irambe iripo bhutsu ka. Zvazvakanaka dai mamboita nguva yekuswedera paside so that the young people of this country can fix the mess you created for the last 40 years. My name is Lumumba and welcome to the Viva experience. Thank you.
Forging a Vehicle Registration Document
In July 2016, Lumumba was arrested for allegedly forging a registration book for his mother’s vehicle, a Toyota Ipsum. It was alleged that Lumumba's mother asked him to sell the car on her behalf and he allegedly manufactured a fake registration before taking the vehicle to a car sale.The matter came to light when the owner of the vehicle was arrested by police who then checked the documents of his vehicle and discovered they were fake. It was alleged that the owner then implicated Acie as the one who had acquired the documents on his behalf.
Involvement in Corruption
In May 2013, Lumumba, along with then Star FM Programmes Manager Tich Mataz, was suspended with immediate effect after an internal audit unearthed irregular transactions involving two companies owned by the two Hamtech Investments and Onesay Investments. The internal audit had uncovered massive fraudulent activities whereby revenue from advertisers meant for Star FM was being diverted to bank accounts belonging to Hamtech and Onesay.In 2016 Lumumba was reported to have admitted to being corrupt during his tenure in Zanu-PF and that he was happy to be out of the party.
“Once I was inside, I realised the promise was broken and I wanted to get out. While I was in there was I corrupt, yes. That is why I am not running for government. Corruption is consuming, you don’t even know that it has hit you,” he said.
Zimbabwe Youth Council
In April 2016, Lumumba was appointed Chairman of the Steering Committee on the Zimbabwe Youth Empowerment Strategy for Investment. He was however fired following allegations of conflict of interest and misappropriating funds meant for the Zimbabwe Youth Council (ZYC).
Expulsion From Viva Zimbabwe
In a Facebook-live video, Viva Zimbabwe spokesperson Patson Mashingaidze said the party’s executive decided to fire its founding chairman Acie Lumumba for belittling other opposition parties and also because of his intentions to rejoin Zanu-PF.
- Lumumba was reported to have indicated that he doesn't drink or smoke and that he doesn't go to nightclubs
Honorary Doctorate Degree
In 2014, Lumumba along with 9 other Zimbabweans were awarded doctorates by a little-known institution; International Institute of Philanthropy for "human studies". It later emerged that the Harare-based institution was fake. Lumumba, however, continued to use the Doctor (Dr.) prefix on his name.
- In early June 2016, |H-Metro released pictures taken from a Sex Tape that Lumumba made with an unidentified woman. Lumumba did not deny the authenticity of the tape. He said that the tape was retrieved from his house by Police who raided his house without a search warrant. He also said that the raid was the result of Zanu-PF getting back to him for quitting the party 2 weeks earlier.
In March 2018 Lumumba was arrested for alleged theft of $8 000 in a currency trading deal. It was reported that Lumumba met the complainant Graham Tineyi at the Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport when they were both heading for South Africa on the 27th of February 2018. Lumumba was alleged to have referred Tineyi to an agent by the name of Abigail Chipuru for money safekeeping. However, on the 28th of February 2018, Lumumba allegedly sent Jethro Tonderai Maposa to collect $8 000 from Chipuru without Graham Tineyis knowledge nor approval. 
Today's Top Pindula News2018-09-26T03:26:38Z
- Elias Mambo, Lumumba speaks out, Zimbabwe Independent, Published:April 29 2016 , Retrieved: 15 May 2016
- , Acie Lumumba, Published: No date given , Retrieved:16 Dec 2014
- PATRICE MAKOVA, More promises as poll fever grips Zim, The Standard, Published: 21 Jul 2013, Retrieved: 28 Jul 2015
- A. Lumumba, Hon Acie Lumumba, Facebook, Published:12 December 2014, Retrieved:16 December 2014
- Obey Manayi and Xolisani Ncube, Zhuwao extortionist, corrupt: Lumumba, NewsDay, Published:23 April 2016, Retrieved: 10 April 2016
- F. Lupande, Lumumba in Court on Assault Charges "The Herald", published:30 Aug 2014,retrieved:16 Dec 2014"
- Harare Bureau (July 9 , 2016). "Lumumba arrested again". The Chronicle. Retrieved November 16, 2017. Check date values in:
- Star FM suspends Tich Mataz, The Herald, Published: 15 May 2013, Retrieved: 21 April 2016
- "'You don't cross the red line of killing people': ex Zanu PF youth leader". Africa. June 30 , 2017. Retrieved November 16, 2017. Check date values in:
- Melody Mashaire, Lumumba fired from youth committee, The Herald , , Published:21 April 2016, Retrieved: 21 April 2016
- [ https://news.pindula.co.zw/2017/11/30/viva-zimbabwe-fires-acie-lumumba-immediate-effect/ ], VIVA Zimbabwe fires Acie Lumumba with immediate effect , Published: November 30 2017 , Retrieved: 30 November 2017
- Acie Lumumba interviewed by Ruvheneko Parirenyatwa on The PlatformZi-FM Stereo, Published:4 May 2016, Retrieved:22 May 2016
- Everson Mushava, Fake degrees for Tuku, Makandiwa’s wife and 9 others?NewsDay, Published: July 8 2014,Retreived:22 May 2016
- Acie Lumumba In Court For Stealing $8 000, PindulaNews, Published: 13 March 2018 , Retrieved: 13 March 2018